World Cup Opening Ceremony: World Cup desperate for music stars

Will there be music stars in Doha? Two days after the launch of the World Cup in Qatar, which will be held until December 18, the question arises after the refusal of several music personalities to participate in the opening ceremony, for lack of respect for human rights.

While Fifa has just unveiled the official world anthem featuring Maluma, Nicky Minaj and Myriam Fares, several artists have been less enthusiastic about being associated with the competition.

For Rod Stewart, for example, it is a decisive and definitive no. In the columns of The Times newspaper, the rock legend said on Tuesday that he had been invited by the small but very wealthy Gulf emirate to perform at the opening ceremony.

“I was offered a lot of money, over a million dollars, to play there fifteen months ago. I declined. It’s not right to go,” said the 77-year-old British singer. The reason ? “Respect for human rights in general” including that of the LGBTQ+ community, he whose texts have often been involved.

Like the song “The Killing of Georgie,” written in 1976 about the murder of a gay boy. “It’s important, because it means you can refuse the money. It means you can’t buy everything,” he said.

Along the same lines, The Cure group also indicated that it would not occur in Qatar.

Dua Lipa says no

Her name was also mentioned to sing at the opening ceremony, but the 27-year-old British pop star silenced the rumors on her Instagram account, where she is followed by more than 87 million people.

“I will not perform and have not been involved in any negotiations to perform in Qatar,” the “Levitating” singer wrote, adding that she will be supporting England.

“I look forward to going to Qatar when it has fulfilled all its human rights commitments,” he continued.

Shakira gives up

She hadn’t confirmed her presence either, but rumors were the order of the day. It must be said that the Colombian star, separated from the Catalan footballer (who has just retired) Gerard Piqué, is a regular at the World Cup.

The one who had signed – with the South African group Freshlyground – the official music of the 2010 South African edition with “Waka Waka” (This Time for Africa), to then perform four years later in Brazil with the hit “La La La” will not go in Qatar.

This is what the singer’s entourage told the Spanish channel Telecinco and then to the Spanish-language news agency EFE, without providing further details.

Lil Baby and the others?

The American rapper with more than 32 million monthly listeners on Spotify, who collaborated with members of the British group Tears for Fears on one of the Mondial soundtracks, “The World is yours to take”, is silent about his presence or absence in Doha .

The 27-year-old Atlanta native indicated on his social media in late September that he intended to travel to Doha to host the opening ceremony. Will he surrender? The question is asked.

Among those who have not denied or canceled their presence, there is the Canadian actress and dancer Nora Fatehi. The name of Robbie Williams – who attended the opening ceremony of the 2018 World Cup in Moscow – is also circulating. Just like that of Jungkook from the K-pop group BTS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *