manhunt after the murder of an Israeli soldier

Israeli forces are following a Palestinian man suspected of killing an Israeli soldier the day before in an armed attack in East Jerusalem on Sunday, amid a surge in violence in recent months.

Soldier Noa Lazar, 18, who served in the military police, died from gunshot wounds inflicted in Saturday night’s attack on the Shuafat checkpoint, a Palestinian refugee camp in East Jerusalem, an occupied area and annexed by Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid promised on Sundayto bring those responsible for this heinous crime to justice“.”Terrorism will not win, we are strong despite this difficult evening“, He added while the young woman’s funeral is scheduled for Monday evening after the start of the Jewish holiday of Sukkot.

Another 30-year-old Israeli man was shot and seriously injured in the head in the attack and was taken to Jerusalem’s Hadassah hospital, the facility said. Two border police officers were slightly injured by “fragments“, According to the police.

According to the Israeli police, the perpetrator of the attack is a 22-year-old Palestinian living in East Jerusalem. He was led by an accomplice to the checkpoint and opened fire on the officers on duty before fleeing to the camp.

After a tense night in Jerusalem, Israeli police on Sunday arrested four Palestinians suspected of “get involved in the attackand whose detention was extended for a week.

Israeli forces have blocked access to the camp, where they continue to track down the suspect despite stones being thrown at them by young Palestinians, according to witnesses and police who said they were using “riot guns“.

Multiplication of tensions

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said its rescuers were prevented by Israeli security forces from entering the area. The Israeli human rights organization HaMoked has urged the authorities to allow neighborhood residents to movewho have to go home, to work, to school or to the hospital“.

On Saturday, two Palestinian teenagers identified as Ahmad Daraghmeh, 16, and Mahmoud al-Sousse, 18, were shot dead in a new Israeli army raid in Jenin, a stronghold of Palestinian armed factions in the Northern occupied West Bank, where soldiers were trying to arrest a suspected member of Islamic Jihad, a Palestinian armed group.

After the deadly anti-Israel attacks of last March and April, the army has stepped up operations and arrests in the West Bank – Palestinian territory occupied by the Jewish state since 1967 -, especially in the areas of Jenin and Nablus.

These Israeli raids, often interspersed with clashes with the Palestinian population, have resulted in more than 100 Palestinian deaths, the heaviest toll in the West Bank in nearly seven years, according to the United Nations.

I am alarmed by the deteriorating security situation and the escalation of armed clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces in the West Bank.and in East Jerusalem, the United Nations envoy for the Middle East, Tor Wennesland, commented on Saturday.

Faced with violence in the West Bank, Mahmoud Abbas’ Palestinian Authority has called on the United States to “increase pressure on Israel to end its all-out war against the Palestinian people“.

Israeli operationsit will lead to an explosion and a point of no return, with devastating consequences for all“, Warned Nabil Abou Roudeina, spokesman for President Abbas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *