G7 calls on UN Security Council to take “significant” action.

The G7 countries criticized the launch on Sunday 20 November “irresponsible” by North Korea of ​​a new ICBM on Friday and called on the UN Security Council to take further action “significant” to finish the tests. The Council will meet on Monday on this matter.

The foreign ministers of the G7 countries said that North Korea’s repeated missile launches “further destabilize the region, despite calls by the international community for peace and stability”.

The projectile North Korea tested on Friday appears to be its latest ICBM-class ballistic missile, the range of which would allow it to strike the American mainland.

The G7 statement calls for “a united and strong response from the international community” and underlining “the need for the United Nations Security Council to take further significant action”.

The G7 includes Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Great Britain and the United States. The statement was joined by a representative of the European Union.

“Personal defence”

For its part, Pyongyang vehemently attacked UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Sunday, calling him ” puppet of the United States”.

“I deeply regret that the Secretary-General of the United Nations observes a truly deplorable attitude, unaware of the purpose and principles of the Charter of the United Nations and of his own mission which is to maintain impartiality, objectivity and fairness on all matters”North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui said, according to state-run KCNA news agency.

On Friday, Mr. Gutteres had called on North Korea to “refrain immediately” brand new “provocation” after this new blow, inviting Pyongyang to return to the negotiating table.

Read also: Article reserved for our subscribers North Korean missile launch: sharp worsening of relations between the two Koreas

On Sunday, the North Korean foreign minister recalled that the Pyongyang authorities had “recently warned the Secretary-General of the United Nations to consider the issue of the Korean peninsula impartially and objectively”.

Highlighted the policy of“personal defence” from North Korea “in an ominous security environment in the region due to the dangerous military cooperation between the United States and its client forces”.

‘UN secretary-general still blamed North Korea rather than the US’, assured the Minister. Mr. Kim also reiterated that he will resort to the atomic bomb in the event of a nuclear attack on his country, according to KCNA.

Thirty missile launches since the beginning of November

The United States, South Korea and Japan have stepped up joint military maneuvers in recent months since Kim Jong-un declared in September that North Korea’s nuclear state status was “irreversible”.

Seoul and Washington notably conducted the largest joint air exercises in their history in late October and early November.

Read also: In South Korea, an American B-1B bomber joins joint air exercises

The KCNA news agency said the missile launched on Friday was a Hwasong-17, its latest variant, which it considers to be “the most powerful strategic weapon in the world”. KCNA said Kim Jong-un attended the latest launch with his daughter.

North Korea has reportedly fired 30 short-, medium- and long-range missiles so far this month, including one that landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone west of Hokkaido on Friday.

A series of test launches in October included a probable ICBM that flew over Japan, setting off warning sirens in the country’s north. North Korea has launched more missiles in 2022 than in previous years.

The United Nations Security Council has passed nearly a dozen resolutions imposing sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear and missile activities since 2006.

Read also: New missile launches by North Korea cause a false alarm in Japan

The world with AFP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *