“A year after the ‘Pandora Papers’ scandal, the richest keep getting rich while the rest of society is in trouble”

Ln October 3, 2021, a gigantic effort by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) brought to light the biggest tax scandal of all time: the “Pandora Papers”. They confirmed once again – once too many – that the richest 1% – world leaders, politicians, entrepreneurs, oligarchs – believe that the rules do not apply to them and that their wealth comes before the life of the other 99 %.

Among the “protagonists” of this historical leak of documents, those who hide and increase their wealth to the detriment of society, we find the European leaders. The “Pandora Papers” thus revealed the property owned by Andrej Babis, then Czech Prime Minister, on the Cote d’Azur. Nothing objectionable. Except that he holds them through companies domiciled in tax havens and that at least one transaction was made … in cash.

Read also: Article reserved for our members “Pandora Papers”: a global dive into the secrets of offshore finance

Also in France, the “Pandora Papers” highlighted that many of our compatriots, leaders and elected politicians in particular, are concerned about tax evasion. The former mayor of Blois (Loir-et-Cher), Nicolas Perruchot, who was also deputy and chairman of the Loir-et-Cher department, created an offshore company in the Seychelles. Also cited are Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former minister and former CEO of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) or Sylvain Maillard, deputy of the RML, as well as six hundred other French rich people.

Covid and its dividends

In 2021 Bruno Le Maire, former Minister of Economy and Finance, then stated that it would be “intractable with those who have cheated”. Still, the measures are not followed. Shell companies are still relevant. The blacklist of tax havens is still waiting to be reviewed in light of the revelations.

Should we be surprised when, moreover, the policies of our government continue to favor, this time in a completely legal way, the interests of the richest to the detriment of the rest of the population? The abolition of the wealth tax (ISF) by Emmanuel Macron allowed 0.1% of the richest to increase their fortune.

Read also: Article reserved for our members Thomas Piketty: “After the revelations of the” Pandora Papers “, the time has come to act”

Then there was the abolition of some production taxes, including the total abolition of the contribution to business value added (CVAE), which made large companies even richer. To which Covid and its dividends have been added to no longer be able to. The richest have continued to get rich, with the blessing of a government that also chooses to hunt down hypothetical social fraud.

You still have 56.67% of this article to read. The following is for subscribers only.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *